Saturday, November 19, 2016

SNEAK PEEK

Here's a sneak peek from the moment Emma Winters first arrives at Crummings' Home for the Dispossessed...

 



The windshield wipers on the car squeaked as they flew back and forth, trying their best to fight off the rain.  We crossed the bridge and began driving through town, still hitting every pothole along the way.  Small cafés and convenient stores lined both sides of the street, and soggy newspapers littered the grimy sidewalks and gutters.  The place felt abandoned.  And dirty.

We rounded a corner, and soon the car was slowing to a stop.  As the driver threw the gearshift into park, I peered out the window, eager to see my new home.  But all I saw was a wall of twisted metal.  The driver opened my door, and I stepped out onto the sidewalk, my jet-black hair blowing in the drizzly autumn wind.  A tall, wrought-iron gate loomed above me, like a set of prison bars, and I started to wonder if the legends were true.

“Don’t just stand there gawking,” said Delores.  “You’ll get pneumonia out here.  Grab your bag and let’s go.”

The driver handed me my tattered suitcase, tipped the brim of his hat to say “good day,” and then climbed back into the cab.

There was the sharp sound of metal scraping against metal as the gate suddenly swung open.  All by itself.  With my one piece of luggage in hand, I stepped through the entrance and into the courtyard.  Cobblestones covered the ground, though patches of dead, yellow grass fought through the cracks.  It was like walking through a cemetery.  Stone statues and fountains were scattered throughout the yard, many chipped and broken.  I passed a crumbling, three-legged fawn and an angel whose face had disintegrated long ago.

“Homey, isn’t it?”

I rolled my eyes at Delores’s smart comment and kept walking.

Black birds scattered as I passed more decrepit statues, squawking loudly as they flew away in annoyance.  The orphanage looked like some medieval castle.  I gazed up at the towering fortress and couldn’t believe how massive it was.  Rows of tall, skinny windows lined all three floors, and as we walked up the front steps, I was surprised to see the grimacing faces of several stone gargoyles staring at us, as if they were guarding some secret.  I shivered as I walked past their disapproving scowls.  
 
DOLL HOUSE ebook available for preorder now! Arrives 12.17.16.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment